Monday, August 02, 2010

Shotgun

For a while now - at least a year or more - the word "shotgun" has been a part of my boys' language. It means that one of them has called the front seat of the vehicle in which they are about to ride. Emma is not included in this little game. She is still too young and small to ride in the front of my van, although I think she sometimes rides in the front of Rick's green truck.
Anyway, the boys take this goal of riding shotgun rather seriously. They apparently have made a rule that you have to have a visual on the vehicle before you can call shotgun. I have seen them open the door from the laundry room to the garage and yell shotgun a few minutes before we leave the house. A couple of times, but not many, there has been a squabble over who called it first and whether or not the calling of shotgun conformed to the rules. I refuse to be a part of the game. I simply advise them that they have to work it out or they both sit in the back. They have always worked it out.
And for the record.... I remember calling shotgun a lot when I was a kid and my brother and I were striving to be in the front passenger's seat. It is tradition, ya know.

No comments: