Monday, November 08, 2010

Random memories

Emma still sleeps with multiple stuffed animals, but her favorite is a stuffed bunny I think my mom got her for Easter a few years ago. She tucks them all round her when she goes to bed. She loves her electric blanket, LOVES it. She is so into music. She knows the words to so many songs, it baffles my mind. She is always surprising me. Just when I think I have a song she won't know, she starts singing along. I love my music too. I like to think she gets it from me. It is nothing for her to have the music on in her room, singing as loud as possible. She is learning about iTunes and Ricky has been helping her downloading songs. She is all about swimming right now, trying to get her AA and zone cuts. Basketball is starting and she will be equally as excited about that. School work is amazing. She received Honor Roll with Distinction for the 1st quarter and was just beside herself. She did get very upset that she did not receive perfect attendance. She was tardy 1 day and had 1 early dismissal. Apparently the tardy disqualified her from perfect attendance. You would have thought that her best friend moved away. Emma also started shaving her legs about 3 weeks ago. I broke down and bought her an electric razor. It was really bothering her that her legs were so hairy. She has asked for 2 years to shave. I remember feeling the same way and just decided that there was no reason for her not to do it. You would have thought I bought her a car.


Matthew is moving through 7th grade pretty well. He still has soccer going on - they are headed to the State tournament this weekend. He has try outs for basketball this week, with the cuts being made on Wednesday. He says he is working hard at conditioning and open gym. Wednesday will tell the tale. His school work is coming along. We are still fighting with putting for the most effort and turning things in, although it did get better the last part of the quarter. He had 2 B's with the rest being A's. We talk about it frequently and I am trying to help him understand the need to be diligent in his school work and to ask for help when needed. He just broke up with the "girlfriend" he has had since last spring. He said she was following him around at school and during lunch and it made him uncomfortable. We had a talk about what being a boyfriend meant and that if he didn't like her anymore, then he should break up with her. He did have his friend Harry do it, and I told him that wasn't appropriate. Ah, Jr. High love.
He is still as sweet as ever, loving to me and Rick. He has the best heart. He loves his sports, ESPN is on a lot. He still enjoys the Food Network and DIY channel. He is doing well with his health, and we are still trying to work on healthier eating for him, and teaching him that he can still have the junk he craves, just not all the time. About a month ago, we found a can of frosting in his closet, with a spoon. When I asked why he was eating frosting and keeping it in his closet, he very calmly said "because frosting is good". Of course, we died laughing. Then we had the discussion about nutrition and the fact that frosting does go bad and get nasty. That kinda made him think a little bit :)
He still loves his hats and wearing his pj's. It is nothing to find him with one of the crazy knit hats on, in his pj's, just happy as can be. He is also loving the jersey sweat pants. He got a pair for cross country and loved them. We just bought 2 more pairs for him. He is into wearing sweat pants and t-shirts to school, and jeans too. Nothing too fancy. I remember when Ricky went through this stage.

And then there is Ricky. My oldest. Gosh I love this boy. He is becoming such an adult and yet remaining such a kid. I love that about him. He loves his electronics, iPod Touch, computer and phone. He spends hours doing homework with music on. Over the summer he was all about getting CD's from the library and adding them to our music library and burning CD's for his friends. He loves his music and has a wide range of tastes. He is even back to liking some of the country music he had strayed from. His cross country season has come to an end with a trip to the State meet with the team. What a great experience for him. He got to participate in painting the rock at the school when they returned. What wonderful memories. Swim season is underway and I am looking for good things from him. I think he has a desire to do well. He has a good circle of friends and I like them. They are all a little different, but they fit together so well.
He still loves his mommy. I get numerous hugs every day and I LOVE it. I couldn't ask for more. We all have our moments of disagreement and slight attitude, but I could not ask for a better experience in raising my first teenager. He really has set the bar high for his siblings. He loves wearing jeans and t-shirts with sweatshirts. He wears them every day. He loves American Eagle stuff and is good at looking for a bargain. His favorite food is still PB&J and he cannot get enough food right now. Ever. It is non stop.

No comments: