Monday, August 21, 2006

School

Tonight we went to open house. Ricky starts 6th grade, Matthew 3rd and Emma kindergarten. All kids were excited, Ricky was busy being cool. Emma seemed happy to go into her classroom and see Mrs. Libecap - the room was very noisy and crowded. She looked around, found her cubby, saw friends and looked at some toys. She talked briefly with Mrs. Libecap and then we headed to Miss Coleman's class. MAtt put his things away and we talked with Miss Coleman for a few minutes. Off to the intermediate school.
We sat through the orientation, found Ricky's homeroom, found his locker and put his stuff away - again crowded and noisy. We went to different classrooms and looked at his schedule. I had a nice conversation with his homeroom teacher, Mrs. Rudolph. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

We got the kids in bed and I was talking to Emma, when I noticed the look on her face which said....I'm scared, but I don't want to tell you. Well, I asked and then the tears said. She said "I'm nervous about going to such a big school...I'm sure to my old school". We talked about how she will do a lot of the same things in Kindergarten and how she knows a lot of the kids in her class already. Some smiles poked through. Rick came in and was upset that Emma was upset. Now he had to get involved. He asked what was wrong and immediately started telling her about Mrs. Libecap's class - he had her for kindergarten too - whew. More smiles from her.
Then I called Matthew in - he had Mrs. Libecap too. He added his 2 cents into the mix. A few more smiles...then tears... "I'm going to miss my old teachers." I told her I knew, but that Mrs. Libecap was very excited to see her and have her in class. A giggle. The more stories from her boys about things in class and what she will get to do. Ricky a bit more serious about the games and reading and writing and such. Matthew about silly things. Then I mentioned that Mrs. Libecap likes to cook in class and likes to have snacks. Ricky talked about recess - 2 x a day. More smiles and giggles. Lots of talk about cooking in class - lots of smiles and giggles. Matthew promised to walk Emma to her class for the first week - a look of relief from Emma, a look of "geez, ok mom" from Matthew (although he will be great with her tomorrow I have no doubt." Then... "I get to ride the bus with my boys!" A big smile and giggle. Then, its time for bed. A little relief in her face as I turn out the lights.
Then a big thank you to both boys....they constantly amaze me with their concern for each other. Ricky especially tonight - he was patient and calming and full of information for Emma - they are a lot alike.
I went down stairs and wondered.... how will she do, will she be scared, will she cry? Should I meet her at school and go into her class? I did with the boys.. I just don't know. Rick says to wait until tomorrow to decide. Maybe I will

No comments: