Friday, April 28, 2006

Ricky Turns 11

He turned 11 on April 10, 2006. Unfortunately the morning was marred by Matthew having a second asthma attack in 2 days and I was rushed to get him to the doctor and get Ricky and Emma to Marcia's. But in true Ricky fashion, he was great and concerned for his brother. As a matter of fact, he had asked me the week before if it was time to take Matt to the doctor since he had been coughing for so long. At 11, he just shouldn't care that much. He is a very sensitive child, sometimes it is trying as he gets very emotional, but in the long run, I couldn't ask for a more loving and compassionate child. He cares so much about other people.
This year for his birthday, he asked to have a few friends over to have a football tournament on playstation. We still haven't scheduled it, but we promised him. For his dinner, he chose to go to Red Lobster - he and I both love shrimp - although he only seems to like it fried at this point. We had a great time and he tried new appetizers. It was expensive - $70+ for the meal, but that's ok. For his cake, all he wanted was a chocolate cake with chocolate icing. I made it and it wasn't very pretty, but I got it done and it tasted good. I wonder where my cake baking skills have gone....
As far as presents, it was a strange year. He really wanted an ipod and we told him we just weren't buying one - $100.00 + for the little thing. Well, of course we ended up buying one for him - and ipod shuffle which cost around $75.00. He was so excited and couldn't believe that we bought it. That was all we bought too. From everyone else, he asked for money so he could purchase summer pass at Penn Terra Golf Course to play over the summer with Josh CHildrers, Austin Kuck and Luke Landis. He planned ahead and decided that this is what he wanted to do. He got money from each of his grandparents. It is strange not to have all of the toys as presents. Now it is just a few and only family for cake. It is amazing how things have changed.
At 11, Ricky is compassionate, smart and loving. He is starting to spend a little more time in his room, but mostly I find him reading when I go looking. We bought a basketball hoop and he has spent a good amount of time out there, although he still seems to want someone to go out with him. His grades have been outstanding - all a's and b's and the 2nd quarter, he had straight a's. He seemed pretty proud of that accomplishment. He is a bit disorganized, and I am told that is a sign of a gifted child, which he is. He has been in the TAG program at school since 4th grade and he absolutely LOVES it. We don't get much information about school from him, although we pry regularly. So far, no girlfriends and no real interest in them yet, which is fine with his father and I. He still seems smaller than a lot of his friends, but I think his growing spurt is coming. He is currently wearing head gear to try to straighten out his top teeth and hopefully avoid braces. Here's hoping. Cost for head gear - $1,800.00.
Favorite foods: still PB&J, mom's potato soup, o'charley's rolls, raisin bran and just raisins, tangerines, a medium rare hamburger (pink in middle - thanks grandma cordes).

No comments: