Monday, November 30, 2009

Ricky and Cross Country

Tonight was the award banquet for Ricky's freshman cross country season. His coach is quite a man. He took the time to write individual comments about each runner and discussed them during the banquet. While the evening was lengthy, it showed that Coach Brown really loves these kids and really knows who they are and what they can become.
I was mostly impressed with my oldest child. it was obvious from the comments being made from his team mates during the banquet that he is well liked. The girls all yelled the loudest for him and he received the most applause when his name was announced. The kids all seemed to think he would get a special award. His coach even mentioned that his interpersonal skills were so good and his social skills were so good that the upper classmen took it upon themselves to pick him out to "pick on" just a bit. He even mentioned that on occassion, Ricky would give it right back.
I have seen this kind of attention/admiration/friendship before, but tonight, it was so cool. He really is well liked among his peers and I think that is so important. Great job son. I am proud of you.

Goals for next year - to beat Dr. (DeVilbiss) and Nick Moyer in a race. Let's see if he does it.

No comments: