Last night, we had a long discussion with Matthew concerning some bad grades. He was making bad choices and not keeping up with his work. It happens to all of us and we have been through this with Ricky. We talked about responsibility and consequences and that he has to do what is right. He listened, some tears formed and we got throught it. We talked about how important it is that he never exaggerate or fake anything about his asthma. We just have to know that he is telling the truth.
After we were done and Rick had left, he started crying again. He just looked at me and said "mom, sometimes it is really hard to be a kid." I told him that sometimes it is hard to be an adult too. Then I told him, as I have before and as I have told his brother, "I have been you. I have had this talk. I have been the kid who is headed to school in the morning and desperately trying to figure out how I can get the assignment completed for 6th period that I should have done, but didn't. I have done this and I get it." He looked at me and relief came over his face. He said "you really do get it, don't you." I confirmed that I did. I really was you at one time and I do get it.
No comments:
Post a Comment