Yesterday, Ricky learned a tough lesson. You can't always get out of something. Yesterday he learned that he will receive a "C" for the quarter in Earth Science. This is the first "C" he has ever had as a grade (not just on an assignment). He called me after school to confess to the grade and he was in tears. Angry, upset, all of those things. I had to wonder, though, how long with it last, the being upset at the grade? I really don't know. Rick and I had already talked about it and we had decided that there would be a punishment, which we told Ricky. You see, the grade is due to his failure to turn in some assignments, not due to a lack of ability to understand the material. It has been a problem over the years, but somehow he always managed to pull it off and get by with it. Not this time, not as a Freshman. The teachers just wouldn't give in, and I am glad. This is a lesson that each of us has to learn. It is hard for me stand by and watch, but Rick and I had already decided that we wouldn't harp on him when we discovered that this would probably happen. We laid it out, told him what was expected and let him handle it. It is time for him to take control, good or bad, and decide what and who he wants to be.
We did talk about it last night, calmly, no yelling. He says he is really upset and even managed a few more tears. I am sure that last night, he was upset and angry and disappointed with himself. The question is, will he do what he needs to and not do it again. Only time will tell us if he learned this tough lesson.
No comments:
Post a Comment